A Remembrance of Enid
by Paula Cramer
Enid, along with all of her other talents, was a great cook.
She didn't hesitate to share her favorite recipes when asked.
The following one for her "Plum Torte" was sent after we had shared
a summer evening together on our deck eating in Merion, talking and enjoying
each others company.
I've copied it below so others might also have the pleasure of making it and remembering Enid's ability to bring people together around good food and good conversation.
Enid's recipe for Plum Torte
1 cup sugar
1/4 pound butter
1 cup unbleached flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
24 unpeeled purple plums or sliced, peeled peaches or apples
Topping sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon.
You can freeze this. Defrost and then reheat in 300 degree oven for a few minutes.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, flour, baking powder.
- Beat well.
- Spoon batter into 9 inch spring form pan. (Spray the pan with PAM before filling.)
- Cover the batter with the fruit.
- Sprinkle a little sugar and lemon juice and cinnamon on the fruit.
- Bake for one hour at 350 degrees.
- Cool and then remove from pan.